Thursday, December 2, 2010

Love and Other Drugs

Love &Other Drugs, I did not expect it to be very good. But because Jake Gyllenhall and Anne Hathaway were both starring in this film I wanted to see it. I expected it to be another chick-flick. Not so, this was not a chick flick.  I was not sure, but I thought this was based on a true story.
I  related to the movie because I am in the medical profession. The movie is about a pharmaceutical rep. Right up my alley.

I remember when I worked in a doctor's office all the pharmaceutical reps visiting the doctors. The way to get their foot past the receptionist and through the doctor's office, butter up the medical secretaries. Give them the perks.

In some ways, this movie brings up the discussion of pharmaceutical companies. Is it right for the doctors to be given perks.  I am talking about the expensive lunches, and broadway shows, and all the perks that go with it. 

I don't want to get on my soap box.  Because this movie was not focused on the pharmaceutical companies. Rather on the relationship of the two people. I just loved this movie. It was serious at times, and comical. It made me cry at the end.



The story was about a pharmaceutical rep, Jamie Randall.  At the point of the movie, Jamie wants the doctor to allow him to pose as a intern.  To help him further his career. During this time he interns, he meets the girl of his dreams, Maggie.  Maggie is in the examing room, her doctor and Jamie come into the examing room. She is not aware he is not a intern. Her doctor examines her.  Maggie tells her doctor she has a problem with her breast.  She exposes her breasts.  She is in the examing room waiting for her doctor. She finds out when she goes to his car that he was not who she thought he was, she felt duped... She sees his car trunk full of pharmaceuticals, and the pharmaceutical merchandise with labels of Pfizer. She puts two and two together. There is a confrontation, but they still end up together.

The only thing is if you are a prude, there are lots of sex scenes. Jake and Anne Hathaway were good together in this movie.  He was so funny!! I have seen him in other movies mostly drama.  I did not realize he was so funny.  He was great as a smooth talker.   I  highly recommend it. 

I am not going to spoil the rest of the movie. If you are in the medical field you would enjoy it. Don't take my word for it, go to see it.