Monday, May 21, 2012

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons- May's Book Club





Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
By Lorna Landvik
Library copy

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons has been sitting on my book shelf for quite awhile. Not sure why I did not pick this up sooner.  I am glad, Donna from our book club picked this novel to read for May.  This is a perfect summer read for this time of year.

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons,take place in Minnesota, it is the story of a group of ladies. They became friends because the book club, they formed in their community of Freesia Court. It is the common bond of books that solidify their friendship.

Faith is the one that has something to hide in her past life, she has given birth to twins Beau, and Bonnie.  Audrey, is the sex queen, good clothes and Jewels is the best thing. Merit is the shy one, and is being abused by her husband the doctor. Kari, is the one the thoughtful friend that thinks of everyone first, before herself.  Then the activist, Slip, is the social justice person, always standing on her soap box, to defend the wrongs of the world.

These five ladies, lives intersect with each other from the 1960's till 1989. These five ladies, live through, domestic abuse, drugs, smoking cigarettes, Cancer, Feminist movement, Racial problems,  Vietnam, college riots, homosexuality, AIDS, adoption, abortion, divorce, widowhood, single parenting. Through 30 years of friendship they still stayed together, and stayed strong for each other.

I enjoyed reading the trials, and tribulations and love they had  for each other. Some  things were  so funny. The things that came out of their mouths were  memorable, bittersweet. Learning how to accept each other with a good laugh.

My Review: I bought this novel  almost 10 years ago. I don't remember what drew me to the book. Because the title doesn't sound like anything, but fluff.
Totally wrong about the title.

Each chapter had the title of the book they were discussing for that chapter, and who was leading.  The chapters went back and forth with each character, and what was going on in their lives.  I had a hard time, each time who were they speaking about. Because it was jumping around so much. But, because each chapter seemed to have a conclusion you could figure out what was going on, without getting confused. 

The book for me was like re-living my past from the 1960-1990's. Even though I was a child, I could still remember the feminist movement, Vietnam etc.  All the history back then was all over the news, and newspapers, in the classrooms. I may have been too young to participate, but I remember the events.  I enjoyed reading because of living through the times. Not sure of young women can appreciate this, because most of the social injustices that we thought were unfair, have been resolved thanks to our governments, and people that fought for change. That part was funny, because I could check each subject matter off one, by one and say it was resolved.

Our book club, Beach Babes Book Brigade discussed all the things mentioned in my review.  We didn't discuss long, which was unfortunate. Because there was many things to discuss.
We discussed books we would be reading till next April. But, if something happens I hope we are not held to it. Just in case.

Next month, our book club will be hosting a special book club event. Our book club are so honored to be able to invite Rabbi Debbie Slavitt to discuss, and have a historical presentation with the novel, Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman.

 I have been wanting to get the Jewish ladies of our community together to read one book and then we discuss it. 

 In our community we are very lucky to have our rabbi's for our congregation. But, we are even luckier to have Rabbi Debbie Slavitt. Since she moved here with her husband she doesn't have a congregation. Instead she teaches, at the local university. Most of the ladies, in town love her, and love to hear her discuss things.